It is common for some of your teeth to present irregularities or unevenness that affect the appearance of your smile. If you are looking for a solution to this problem you should know how the process of aesthetic dental contouring is and how your dentist will explain the whole process in detail. Let us begin.
How Cosmetic Dentistry Can Help You
Cosmetic dentistry is a specialty that is responsible for solving problems related to the beauty and health of your mouth.
At first, this was considered a frivolous practice. But through multiple investigations, it was shown that oral defects can cause some psychic and clinical illnesses.
This specialty has a series of treatments that can return functionality and aesthetics to your mouth. These can be classified as follows:
- Hygiene and prophylaxis.
- Microabrasion techniques for tooth enamel
- Aesthetic contouring
- Composite resins or dental porcelain
Some of the problems that cosmetic dentistry can help you solve include:
- Asymmetries in denture
- Diastemas or separations between the teeth
- Alterations in staining or weakening of tooth enamel
- Fractures in teeth
- Some types of cavities
How is the Aesthetic Dental Contouring Process Carried Out?
Some people have small imperfections and uneven edges or incisal endings of the teeth. Although this does not affect the functionality, they do damage their aesthetics.
There is a dental treatment that can solve these defects simply, quickly and efficiently, this is known as aesthetic dental contouring or ameloplasty. This procedure allows you to subtly model and modify the length, shape and even the surface of your teeth.
It is carried out by removing small amounts of enamel to obtain the desired shape. Usually this treatment is performed in central and canine incisors.
Advantages and Considerations
- It is painless: Unlike what many believe, this treatment does not cause any discomfort related to pain or sensitivity development. As long as it is done properly.
- No anesthesia is required: Because it is a simple procedure, which is performed quickly and without any discomfort, where only the surface of the tooth is worked, you do not need the application of local anesthesia.
- It can be done in one session: Usually in a single visit to the dentists you can give the shape you want to your teeth.
- It has a low cost: Contouring has a lower cost compared to other treatments such as the placement of dental veneers.
- Improve the aesthetics of your smile with permanent results.
- It’s simple: Contouring is considered one of the simplest procedures of aesthetic dentistry.
You should consider that contouring despite being quite effective for modeling your teeth, is a permanent procedure. So, it is necessary for an expert to execute it with great delicacy and precision.
A bad execution will damage the shape of your teeth permanently. So, you will have to resort to expensive reconstruction treatments to improve their appearance.
The aesthetic dental contouring process can be divided into two stages:
In the first stage of the procedure your dentist must make a diagnosis of the state of your teeth. Sometimes you should have an x-ray, to perform the assessment correctly.
Planned wear begins with dental burrs. This is done with a high precision rotary instrument. Subsequently polish the pieces with an ultra-fine grain diamond paste, to restore their natural shine. This procedure lasts approximately one hour.
Contact Dr. Brad Sammons in Indianapolis, IN
The Center for Advanced Dentistry is experienced in providing a multitude of cosmetic dental treatments in Indianapolis, IN. If you would like to schedule a consultation, please contact Dr. Brad Sammons today! We would be happy to assist you with any questions that you may have.